Workers Compensation (WC) Insurance in Connecticut
Workers compensation (WC) is designed to compensate workers whose injuries arise out of and in the course of employment.
The employer’s Obligations are as follows:
- Provide a safe workplace
- Provide safe tools
- Provide qualified fellow workers
- Set up safety rules and enforce them
- Warn workers of known dangers
What are the common defenses of an employer?
- Assumption of risk – the injured person was aware of the danger and still exposed himself (or herself to the dangers associated, by this means, they are not entitled to collect.
- Contributory Negligence – the employee contributed to their injury (for example, not wearing a face mask).
- Negligent act of fellow employee – employee injured by the negligence of a fellow employee.
The Connecticut Workers’ Compensation System…
- Covers almost all employees – including minors, non-citizens, part-time employees, regardless of occupation, business size, duration of employment, or number of hours worked per day
- Is a no-fault system of insurance – private insurers or self-insured employers pay benefits to an injured employee, even if the accident was the employee’s fault or the employee was born with a medical condition which predisposed him or her to the injury.
- Is designed to help workers injured on the job or with an occupational disease by providing all necessary medical treatment; weekly benefits while disabled, vocational rehabilitation, and additional benefits for scarring, disfigurement, and permanent physical impairment.
- Gives coverage that cannot be signed away except by (a) officers of a corporation or partners operating partnerships who request in writing to be excluded from coverage or (b) as the result of a stipulated settlement of an individual claim that is approved by a Commissioner.
- Denies Compensation for injuries resulting from substance or alcohol abuse.
- Establishes a system of commissioners who hold hearings to resolve disputes in workers’ compensation cases.
Workers Compensation Benefits provide:
For more information on workers compensation or business insurance call Svendsen Agency at 203-397-3993!
- Medical coverage
- Disability income
- Death and survivor benefits